Sunday, January 8, 2012

Did the Sahaba cry for their loved ones?

In the previous post, we proved crying for loved ones from the Holy Quran.

In this post we will see that the wife and companion of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) also cried for their loved ones.

When Umar heard of Numan b. Muqrin’s death he beat his head and screamed, "O what a pity that Nu’man died."

(Kanz al-Ummal, vol.8, pg. 117, Kitaab al-Maut)

As narrated by Tabari in his Taarikh vol. 9 pg. 183 (English translation by Ismail Poonawala):

Abbas narrates:

I heard Aaesha say, "The Messenger of Allah died on my bosom during my turn, I did not wrong anyone in regard to him. It was because of my ignorance and youthfulness that the Messenger of Allah died while he was in my lap. Then I laid his head on a pillow and got up beating my chest and slapping my face along with the women."

(Ibn Katheer in al Bidaayah wa al-Nihaayah vol 5, pg 420)

From the above examples taken from Sunni books, it is proved that crying for a loved was a practice during the time of the prophet and the wife and companion of the prophet also cried.

So, if some sects of Islam propmote following only the Salaf-e-Saaliheen, the they, based on the above examples, should not consider crying as Bid'at.

No comments:

Post a Comment